When cool nights and warm days prevail, setting out for a road trip to one of America’s most iconic fall destinations will put you and your family in the right frame of mind. Places like Jackson Hole, WY, and Burlington, VT are among the top 10 quietly-popular fall vacation destinations. As part of your preparations, secure cheap auto insurance so you’ll be prepared for any possibility on the road.
- Ashville, North Carolina. Whether you are looking for gorgeous sunsets and mountains are a lively music scene, Ashville has just about everything to make your fall adventure a success. The Appalachian Mountains are the backdrop to this down-to-earth yet modern city that is filled with opportunities for adventure, exploration, and fine dining.
- Seattle, Washington. When you think of Seattle, what comes to mind? Probably the Space Needle, which might not seem cozy but with the observation deck and revolving restaurant at the top, it’s got romance written all over it. During the fall months, the rest of Seattle is blanketed in the traditional gold and red colors where you can hike, sip on some pumpkin beer and check out a performance at the cabaret.
- Albuquerque, New Mexico. Enjoying the fall season doesn’t have to mean accepting the cold. While it might be a tad cooler in Albuquerque in October than during the summer months, it still offers an incredible opportunity to view the International Balloon Festival. This nine-day event makes it easy to stay for a day or a week, and the hot air balloons filling the skies will create the beautiful and yes, the cozy ambiance you’re searching for.
- Leavenworth, Washington. This most picturesque of villages gives visitors a true taste of Bavaria without leaving the country. Main Street is lined with shops and restaurants that quintessentially exhibit Bavarian charm in their bright colors and European architecture. Visitors will find spas, unique dining, and a multitude of wine and cider tastings to please the palate and the soul.
- Virginia. Yes, nearly the entire state. If you want the magic of autumn, with spectacular vibrant leaves and a backdrop of serene mountains, Virginia is for lovers and it’s definitely for you.
- The McAfee Knob in southwestern Virginia is the prize at the end of an already beautiful 4.5-mile hike, climbing to an elevation of 3,400 feet. But oh, the panoramic views of the Catawba Valley or stunning.
- Monticello, the former home occupied by Thomas Jefferson himself is not only a UNESCO World Heritage Site; it’s also set among a spectacular array of changing leaves. Feel free to take the tour!
- Shenandoah National Park takes you on a leisurely drive through the Blue Ridge Mountains. You’ll be immersed in 100 miles of delightful autumn views and wildlife.
- Portland, Maine. When people think about fall colors, they usually think of New England, and Portland does not disappoint. The annual Harvest on the Harbor event attracts visitors from all over the world. You can take part in a dizzying variety of foods presented by the best chefs, vendors and even home cooks.
- Rapid City, South Dakota. If you’re craving fall colors but also want a taste of something a little bit different, take a trip to Rapid City. Here you’ll find a drive-thru wildlife park, the Black Hill Caverns, Badlands National Park and the annual Black Hills Pow Wow. There’s feasting, music, dance, and fine arts to provide all the entertainment you need.
- Hershey, Pennsylvania. In Hershey, you’ll not only be in what is known as the “sweetest place on earth” you will also be able to take part in any of their autumn events. Hershey Park and Hershey’s Chocolate World are attractions for the whole family and for couples looking to enhance their sweet tooth. You can harvest pumpkins and enjoy lots of dining options that fully encompass seasonal flavors like caramel, cinnamon, apples and of course, pumpkin spice!
- Boulder, Colorado. Boulder beckons to those who are ready for crisp mountain air and a variety of outdoor activities. Hiking through the Eldorado Canyon and going on bike tours are just a couple of ways you can enjoy the cooler autumnal days. Because it is such a dynamic city, they also have indoor entertainment available such as the Fiske Planetarium, the Boulder History Museum, and the Boulder Museum of Contemporary Art.
- Laguna Beach, California. If the ocean is more your game, Laguna Beach provides highly predictable moderate weather with endless blue skies and calm seas. Walk the tidal pools on your own or with a tour guide or visit the Pacific Marine Mammal Center to visit sea lions, seals, and other rescued marine animals.
Make this fall the best one yet with a trip to one of these gorgeous cities well-known for their autumn splendor.